Your first blog assignment is due no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday (8/26). In a short (4-5 paragraph) blog posting, please introduce yourself to the rest of the class. Who are you? How did you end up in this class? What is something most people don’t know about you? Think of this as an opportunity to engage in what the sociologist Erving Goffman termed “the presentation of self in everyday life.”
Before you post your message, please take a few minutes to review the blog posting guidelines found in the Assignments section on TLEARN. In addition to the grading criteria, the handout includes a checklist with the following items:
- Blog posting begins with a unique and creative title.
- Blog posting weaves together ideas from assigned reading and acknowledges ideas articulated by other students in class. (Not particularly relevant to the introductory posting.)
- Blog posting is thoroughly proofread for writing mechanics. (Always important.)
- Blog posting includes at least one picture (with a caption) that is right-aligned or left-aligned within the body of the text.
- Blog posting includes at least one annotated hyperlink that points to other Internet resources. By “annotated hyperlink,” I mean that the linked part of your prose should actually describe the linked content. You should never just plop a URL into a posting without explaining where it leads.
- Blog posting uses the “Insert More” command (ALT-SHIFT T) to create a break after the first paragraph. This makes it easier for readers to skim the postings in the class blog.
- Blog posting uses the appropriate CATEGORY (e.g. “Blog #1. Introductions”).
- Blog posting includes at least two or three meaningful tags. (e.g. “introduction,” “texan”).
Thanks! Please let me know if you encounter any problems or have any questions about this. I realize that this system might be new to many people in the class. This assignment is a low-stress opportunity for you to get a handle on the blogging software while also introducing yourself to your classmates.